Environmental & Social Sustainability Policy
The Salishan Coastal Lodge by SCP is a 190-room lodge situated in the heart of the Oregon Coastal Range, between the forested bluffs and Siletz Bay. Enjoy adventures of all kinds, from treetop thrills at the Oregon Coast’s only Aerial Park, to golf along seaside bluffs at Salishan Golf Links, to deep relaxation and rejuvenation at The Spa at Salishan.
Soul Community Planet is committed to achieving best practice environmental and social sustainability and has partnered with Earth Check, the world’s leading Benchmarking and Certification provider.
It is recognized that the health and well-being of the environment contributes to the health and well- being of our employees and the communities and populations we serve. Therefore, we commit to providing leadership within the field of sustainable hotel management by example and through the sharing of knowledge and expertise.
Earth Check certification will be the vehicle by which we manage our operations. We further commit to pursue the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals 2030 that we have direct control over, and/or can influence through community engagement.
This policy is aligned with the purpose, values, and governing principles of sustainable development. In delivering this commitment, our leadership and staff will actively participate and communicate our economic, social, and environmental progress and will undertake the following:
- Appoint a member of staff as the responsible party for the oversight of this policy.
- Provide all employees with the necessary training to ensure that personnel are aware of the need to identify risks and to respond properly.
- Comply with all relevant environmental, social, cultural, quality, energy, and health and safety laws, regulations, and permits, with specific consideration of heritage and archaeological significance.
- Regenerative best practices will be sought when making environmental decisions.
Conduct annual internal audits and reviews to ensure that all managed operations remain compliant with the sustainability policy.
- Conserve natural resources by ensuring the responsible use of energy, water, and minimizing waste.
- Targets will be set annually for reducing energy, water and waste, and a tracking system of consumption and GHG emissions will be monitored and measured for determining outcomes.
- Habitat protection and regulatory compliance is assured when developing properties.
- Noise on property will be minimized to not affect the comfort of those on property, or the effect it may have on the local community, or wildlife in the vicinity.
- Light emanating from the property will not adversely affect persons or wildlife.
Zero captive wildlife will be held on property.
- No artifacts, souvenirs or products are offered for sale or consumption of any protected species or conservation concern.
- A sustainable purchasing policy will assist us in sourcing services and products with minimal environmental impact, including, where appropriate, the purchase of local, recyclable products, reduced packaging and shipping components, energy efficient equipment, and priority consideration will be given to those suppliers with fair trade practices.
- Communicate policy to all stakeholders using a variety of avenues.
- Take into consideration the results of stakeholder engagements, the needs of supply chain organizations, and end users.
- Work with suppliers and contractors to ensure that they are informed of our policies and expectations for environmental management.
- Take into consideration legacy issues and document those positive aspects of our operations and activities.
- Encourage companies, especially large and transnational companies, to adopt sustainable practices and to integrate sustainability information into their reporting cycle, through a supply chain management program.
- Economic growth will never be at the expense of environmental degradation.
- We will participate, as appropriate, in community forums or other activities that promote environmental, social, and cultural issues.
- We will respect and contribute to the protection of historical, archaeological, culturally, and spiritually important sites, and will not impede access to them.
- Cultural engagement will be part of our external stakeholder engagement process.
- No basic services to the local community will be negatively affected by our presence.
- Priority will be given to the local community for employment opportunities.